logo PORTAIL.WALLONIE.MUSEUM visiter voir apprendre informer

HOTTON
Faber Mill


Photos 11061184.JPGThe mill has two wheels, one of iron, the other of wood. They have a diameter of 4 metres and flat paddles. They are driven from beneath, which means that the wheels' axle is theoretically above the level reached by the water in the "feeder channel". To drive the wheels, the miller opens the sluices of this channel. The interior of the mill has four levels: the machinery, the revolving stones (pairs of millstones), the bolting room and the granary. The iron wheel on the outside drives two rotating stones by a transmission shaft, while the wooden wheel activates the revolving stone serving to grind cereals suitable for bread-making, a sack hoist, the bolting machine and the flour lift. Operation: The machinery: on the wheel's axle is fitted the large wheel on which the lantern's spindles are engaged. This latter transforms the vertical rotary motion into horizontal rotary motion. It will make it possible to rotate the upper millstone. The lower stone remains still: it is known as fixed or idle. The upper stone rotates, and is called turning. This stone rotates thanks to the anille, an iron piece sealed in the stone. This piece fits into the small stone iron emerging from the lower stone and linked to the lantern. The grain is stored in the granary. Here it is poured into hoppers on the floor. These communicate with those placed on the archures (wooden boxes surrounding the millstones). The grain is crushed between the two stones. Centrifugal force draws the flour outwards. It is the channelled towards a hole and falls on an Archimedes screw which takes it to different outlets to which the miller attaches sacks. When the hopper is empty, an ingenious system activates a bell and thus alerts the miller. The bolting machine (a long hexagonal drum rotating round a horizontal axis, and whose inner surfaces are formed of natural silk) sifts the flour. The different textures of the silk make it possible to sort the different qualities of flour.The Hotton mill was constructed beside a mill race, a secondary arm of the river Ourthe which has cut out an island (the island of Oneux) in the very heart of the place. This water and flour mill dates back to 1729, the year being inscribed in the main door key. It is rectangular building made of limestone rubblestone (moellons) beneath a high "batiere of "coyaux slates. It was listed by the Royal Commission of Monuments and Sites in 1948. It is so-named after the last owner, Mr. Lucien Faber. Since 1989 it has been in the hands of the Communal Administration.
5.44758 50.2683