logo PORTAIL.WALLONIE.MUSEUM visiter voir apprendre informer

SOIGNIES
Bourdeaux Apothecary


Photos 12103711.JPGThis olden rural pharmacy was formerly owned by the "Bourdeau" family. Two generations of this family succeeded one another as chemists in this residence. The shop has been maintained as it was in 1900, with all its distinctive features: a very high counter, small display cases cluttered up with bottles, bluish flasks to protect the contents from the light, pots labelled in the manner of the period (scales, weights ...). The pharmacist can also be seen serving his customers amidst many of the utensils essential to this profession: pill boxes, capsule containers, ceramic mortars, a suppository press, clyster (enema) pipes and many more. It is possible to combine the visit of the Apothecary with that of the Blue Stone and Glass Documentation Center. The former Bourdeaux apothecary is located in the buildings of the Cultural Center located at the foot of the collegiate church of Saint Vincent. This residence was originally built in 1521 but from the 17th century onwards was remodelled several times by the successive owners.
4.07029 50.579