logo PORTAIL.WALLONIE.MUSEUM visiter voir apprendre informer

VISE
Museum of the Town of Visé (or S.R.AH.V.)


Photos 11122310.JPGThe Museum of Visé is a general museum which groups together collections relating to the heritage of the Liège Basse-Meuse region (Bassenge, Blegny, Dalheim Fouron, Oupeye and Visé) but especially of Visé. Its whole picture presents different types of heritage, geology, fossils, archaeology from prehistoric to present times, funeral rites, communication mediums, evolution and historical sciences, architecture (church, house, castle) all called to mind throughout 2 halls. Local lifestyle with the history of the principal buildings, local traditions involving a goose, the "cramignon" (a popular song and dance of the region), the industries and regional productions and local artists such as J. Donnay, J. Cambresier are represented. To finish off the visit, the role of the local societies (cross-bowers, arquebusiers) the former armies, the ramparts and the two wars, especially WWI, are on display in a last hall. Temporary exhibitions with monographs complement the information which concerns the whole of the Liège region and the Euregio.
The site on which the cultural center is located is the birthplace of the Gallo-Roman `vicus´ (a medium-sized built up area 1616-1824). A substantial farm (8th – 16th centuries), a convent and a school of the Sepulchrine order predated various schools of which the Royal Athenée of Visé (1936-1983) is the last. The cultural center of Visé has occupied the building since 1989 and the museum, run by the S.R.A.H.V. (Société Royale Archéo Historique de Visé) is one its main units.
The building was rebuilt by the architect Thuillier in 1925 after a fire on15 August 1914. It retains its 17th century `mosan´ (Meuse region) style of the Renaissance, with casement windows, limestone rims, double beamed anchoring irons, various materials, rounded gate. It is currently located on the 1st floor of the East wing of the building, next to the garden of the ancient cloister and close to the chapel which is used for temporary exhibitions. The chapel gate, a bas relief, and the tower (17th century), are period pieces, the remainder was reconstructed to almost exact copy.
5.69483 50.7362