logo PORTAIL.WALLONIE.MUSEUM visiter voir apprendre informer

Mill - Musée Ianchelevici

LA LOUVIERECarte wallonie

 

[en] Description

[en] Informations pratiques

Avantages

Conference, training course, workshop, event [fr]

Photo gallery

[en] Documentations [fr]

[en] Infrastructure

[en] Dans la région ... [fr]

 

Musée Ianchelevici

Place communale, 21

7100 LA LOUVIERE

064/28.25.30

www.ianchelevici.be

info@ianchelevici.be

Art      

 

[en] Description

05105134.JPG

Collections

In 1983, the Rumanian-born artist Idel Ianchelevici (1909-1994) expressed a desire to create at La Louvière a Foundation to champion and safeguard his work, so the local authorities duly decided to turn the old lawcourts into a museum.

Since May 1987, the old courtrooms on the ground floor have been housing the 200 sculptures and 2,000 drawings donated by the sculptor, while those on the first floor serve as a setting for numerous exhibitions, be they temporary, theme-based, retrospective, solo or group shows. The museum is located in the old lawcourts building of the city of La Louvière, erected in 1901. In a neo-classical style, the building, together with the city hall, was the most important edifice on the town square. Its façade shows alternating bays, one of which opens onto the entrance porch. Its cladding of red Lobbes bricks contrasts with the small Soignies granite blocks earmarked for the ornaments which outline these bays: pilasters at the ends, central columns supporting the entablature and the pediment, basements with bosses and a central strip inspired by classical architecture.

Bâtiment