logo PORTAIL.WALLONIE.MUSEUM visiter voir apprendre informer

Malgré-Tout Museum

TREIGNESCarte wallonie

 

[en] Description

[en] Informations pratiques

Avantages

Conference, training course, workshop, event [fr]

Photo gallery

[en] Documentations [fr]

[en] Publications [fr]

[en] Infrastructure

[en] Dans la région ... [fr]

 

Musée du Malgré Tout

Rue de la Gare, 28

5670 TREIGNES

060/39.02.43

www.museedumalgretout.net

cedarc@skynet.be

Archeology   Art   Ethnology

 

[en] Description

11081885.JPG

Collections

The Museum of Malgré-Tout holds and important collection of regional archaeology covering the south Entre-Sambre-et-Meuse region. The majority of the objects come from excavations undertaken during the second half of the 20th century and ranges from the mid-Paleolithic until end of the Gallo-Roman era. The mid-Paleolithic is represented by objects brought to light in the Abîme Caverns at Couvin, the upper-Paleolithic by relicts of the Roche Trouée (Pitted Rock) at Nismes and the Trou des Blaireaux (Badgers Hole) at Vauelles. The Mesolithic and Neolithic are characterised by numerous surface prospected sites as well as by collective crypts excavated at Matagne and Vaucelles.
The Age of Bronze is typified by the excavations of `marchets´ (funerary hillocks made of stones) on the Terre de David at Olloy-sur-Viroin, and the second Age of Iron by an impressive ensemble at la Roche Alberic cavern at Couvin.
Finally, the Gallo-Roman period is illustrated by the results of excavations of villas at Boussu-en-Fagne, Matagne-la-Petite, Roly, Treignes and Vodelée, of the sanctuary at Matagne-la-Grande, the fortifications of Dourbes, Matignolles and Nismes, and by the burial grounds at Treignes and Vireux, without forgetting to mention numerous isolated discoveries.
The Museum also permanently exhibits an important collection of originals and castings retracing the major eras of the pre-history of the world. This collection is closely linked to the Park of Pre-History, located at the rear of the Museum, which shows seven life-size evocations of hunter-gatherer dwellings of the European Paleolithic era. Each year, the Malgré-Tout Museum displays two temporary exhibits.
The Museum of Malgré-Tout is located on the premises of the former power station of Treignes. Built between 1922 and 1928, this power station is made up of a machine room, a mechanics workshop, a coal cellar, an open courtyard and an office. Until 1957 it serviced the towns of Treignes, Mazé, Najauge, Vierves and Olloy. The installation of the CEDARC (Centre d´Etudes et de Documentation Archeologiques) at the location in 1984 was planned in a concern of uniting classic and industrial archaeology. The development plan of the site was assigned to the architect Jacques Jourquin. Respecting the lay-out of the former room, the mechanics workshop was converted into a permanent exhibition hall for regional archaeology. All the machinery, for the most part dating from the end of the 19th century, was restored and put back into working order. The office was also renovated, while retaining its former structure, so as to adapt to its new function of administrative center. At the front of the building, the electric pylon and traveling crane were retained, which give the building its original industrial look, well integrated in the mining village which surrounds it. The whole façade was renewed and converted. The coal cellar was converted into a reception hall and tourist information center, equipped with a multiplex conference and projection room. The machinery room and open courtyard have been converted into temporary exhibition halls. The construction of a mezzanine made possible the setting up of a permanent showcase retracing the evolution of Man and his industries during prehistoric times, a multi-media area and an activity center.
It was only possible to carry out these works due to the grants obtained by the Commissariat Général du Tourisme of the Walloon region, of the Ministry of Culture and Social Affairs, the General Directorship of Culture and Communication, the Heritage and Fine Arts Association, the Cultural Heritage Department as well as the FEDER (Fonds Européen de Développement Regional). The take-over of the buildings also enabled to safeguard from progressive destruction several sqm of archives and to preserve an important representation of electric materials representative of the evolution of electricity.

Bâtiment